Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Doodles for Recovery

My response to the question,
"If illness were a monster - what would it look like?"
I went to a three-hour art thing today for people with cancer. It's part of the larger Art for Recovery program at UCSF.

It's funny, over there - just around the corner from the Geary Street Kaiser building - I get the feeling when I tell someone I'm from Kaiser, that they feel kind of sorry for me. I can see why, not in terms of medicine, but in terms of other kinds of support. They got it going on over there. I went to a therapeutic yoga class yesterday. There's dance, pilates. It's all free and open to the (cancer patient) public.

Graffiti, Petaluma gas station toilet
It was nice to be around people who have/had cancer. Most of them are either disabled by/in pain from the treatment they had years ago, or they are still actively battling the disease, sometimes over many years. They seemed like a pretty tight knit group but they were also very friendly.

I felt understood, and listening and talking while doodling is excellent.

3 comments:

  1. Really good to read "I felt understood". Being witnessed by those have been to your flavor of hell realms - so soothing.
    Love love love
    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little worried about you spending time in toilets in Petaluma gas stations. Your monster is kind of intense, and hella sentient. I think you could sell it on a t-shirt at threadless. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second that about your monster--it's seriously good! Glad to have you back in town and that you had a good retreat--let's catch up soon. XOXO

    ReplyDelete