Monday, April 16, 2012

Broken, OR, The Power of Ideas

I am on the first day of my solitary retreat at the SFBC land in Lake County. I have come into town to buy a few things and check on email from Spirit Rock. (I am on a waiting list, and also requested a private room.) Sadly I didn't hear anything from them.

Most of this I wrote in my tent last night:

The Power of Ideas sounds like a corporate marketing slogan. But the thing is, ideas are powerful. And slogans are often true. By an idea, here, I mean a thought. A thought like one I had today, my body is broken. By which I understood myself to mean, hurt. Very deeply hurt from the machine- and chemical-generated abuse it underwent.

Random sign in Lake County
Part of thinking is re-thinking, discovering what you were thinking before, that you didn't even know you were thinking. I thought of my treatment as temporary, with temporary effects. Dr. Patel told me the side effects would go away after a month or so. But here it is, two months down the line, and side effects abound.

For example, I had a hot flash tonight. I have never had a hot flash before. The occasional stabbing pain deep in my gut. Soreness in my hips and knees. Arthritis...was it caused by the radiation? I don't remember hearing about that as a possibility. Painful urination. More gassy, less bowel control. Some of my teeth are sore. I sleep 10 to 12 hours per night. An occasionally intense need to be alone, inarticulate, can't quite explain, a deer in the headlights. Confusion. A dream about driving, trying to get home, and everything moving around, home is getting further away and the route more confusing. Finding being around more than one other person, even people I know and trust and love, stressful. Strange effects from food. Like sometimes after I eat certain foods, normal foods that people eat, like breakfast cereal with wheat in it - but it's not normal because it doesn't have any sugar - my vagina itches for a while, which makes me anxious. First the itching and before you know it you have cancer again. (This is also a thought.) Or sometimes my face will itch.

The Order posse trying out ideas for
next album cover
One morning, say, I feel better, energetic, and I think I am done with recovery. I am done. But the change seems to be non-linear. The next day I feel broken, weary.

I thought that on around March 22, all the pain and trouble would be over, or close to being over. And that thought keeps getting friction. It seems that in some ways my body is irreparably damaged...or is that just an idea? In any case, my body feels different - behaves differently - than it did a couple of months ago. They aren't differences anyone would wish for.

Idea: The inevitable deterioration of my body took a great leap forward in the last three months.

Facts. Grief coming from my body today, crying and crying. It's a relief to let some of it it out. Meditation feels emotionally healing.

...I just googled "radiation side effects arthritis" and found more online forums from cancer survivors. Here is a quote from a man who had anal cancer and got 26 radiation treatments:
...The collateral damage has been enormous. It's been over 5 years now since I had this done and it is only getting harder to move around as the years pass...I was only 43 when this happened - the radiation "aged" my body exponentially. 
Geez, why didn't anyone tell me how badly my body was going to be messed up? I have to start doing YOGA!

Vagina. Vagina. Vagina. It used to be a sexual word. It used to be a private word. Now it's like Leonard Cohen's broken hallelujah.


4 comments:

  1. You might appreciate the writing of Maryam Henein, a woman with multiple physical challenges (pain, food & chemical sensitivities) that all came about after physical trauma (car accident). She connects her experience to ecological trauma. "I am in a state of gratitude for this planet and the mysterious imperfect perfect way it flows and unfolds. And gratitude ladies and gents is alchemical magic" XOX http://maryamhenein.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. We are so fragile, and we grieve when our fragility and the fragility of those we love cuts us. I am sad that I won't be seeing you at Danamaya's tea party, but glad that you are on retreat. My own experience has been that sorrow and joy are inextricably linked to each other. Learning to hold them both is the hardest lesson of my life. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello darlin,
    I am so sorry dear Suvanna, that you are having all these physical symptoms. It sucks that you've gone through all these treatments, (the tumor is gone-yay!), but the daily grind of bowel and bladder and bone problems, can be exhausting and sad too.
    I remember when you told me you weren't able to ride your bicycle right now, because of the pain in your pelvis, and it made me cry, because I always think of you as such a vibrant, energetic and zoom-around-the-city, kind of person. Now, here we/you are still crying, laughing, breathing.
    Sending many hugs to you at Lake County.

    alive and still farting,
    Lisa K-H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I hear you loud and clear - my friend marilyn i put you in touch with can tell you alot about all the side effects - she's been in a wheel chair since her treatment almost 4 years ago - poisoned by lots of the treatment..

    i'm so sorry it is hard - your body is going through such a tough time - and also marvel at how your mind though naturally wavering at times is so buoyant and positive. thank you so much for writing - your words are a teaching -- reminding me to have gratitude for my own life - before it is too late - and i would have missed the boat.... big hug - may you dwell in the heart - may you be free of all suffering, may you be healed, may you be at peace.. i'm singing this metta verse to you

    ReplyDelete