Saturday, April 7, 2012

Transitions

Daffodils, jasmine, lavender, and lilac,
from Dayamudra & Nancy
I was going to go for a hike this morning but stayed in bed much of the day instead. So tired. Too much excitement?

I'm a little concerned that I am still so tired. How long will it last? Or am I no more tired than the next guy, just that I can sleep as much as I want to? How much energy am I supposed to have? I seem to have less than other people. I think the docs did tell me that the fatigue could last for a few months.

In the afternoon I went for a walk up to Bernal hill with Karunadakini, then met some folks at The Lone Palm, a bar up the street, for celebratory libations. Robin, Dayamudra, Trish, Bill, Nancy, Mary, Rochelle, Mike, Padmatara, Dhivajri, Helen. I had a ginger beer. Walking home I wanted to stop and buy ice cream but somehow refrained.

A few months ago I left my world and entered the world of cancer. Now maybe I'm coming out of that world. I don't know whether I am or not. I'm assuming I still have secondary cancer/bone sclerosis, but I don't know what the implications of this are. But in some ways I don't want to leave cancer world. I want to keep having a lot of space in my life, and for things to be simple and loving, and to be able to rest when I am tired, and to spend hours lying in bed absorbed in my thoughts, writing.

You might say, wow, do you want cancer or not? What I want is a sane, spacious, and reflective life. I dread my awareness thinning out because it has to take in so many things, and then starts hungering for them...

Of course, I don't want the pain. In the support group yesterday someone suggested a website that seems to be just people with cancer discussing their issues. I am learning a lot. I saw there that even though few people have vaginal adenocarcinoma, many, many people get pelvic radiation. Anyone with cervical cancer gets a virtually identical treatment to what I got. I saw that some of the people who beat cancer end up disabled from the treatment. Either because they lost or wrecked a body part, and/or because they are in constant pain.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like to you don't get to leave the cancer thing behind, totally. But I dont think there are any "suppose" to be tireds??. There is just you and your experience. Seems to me you are managing things well. sleeping, hiking, not eating ice cream.....

    Maybe there aren't answers for everything, suvanna. In the movie the Matrix there is a line that comes to mind, "It's the question that drives you crazy."

    love, laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to imdb, it goes...

    "It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here."

    ReplyDelete