Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Visit, a Tower of Song, and a Serial Killer

Delightful Savanna is here for the weekend from New York. After a nice breakfast at Chloe's and ambling around Valencia street, we went to the Conspiracy of Beards concert at the Center. It felt like church singing in the most genuinely uplifting sense. Or anyway, my kind of church. The power and beauty of the voices bring out wonderful details in the poetry of Leonard Cohen.

Conspiracy of Beards
photo daviddelp.com/hardly-strictly-bluegrass/
I crawled into bed and watched the documentary Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer. It was haunting and profoundly sad. I have had very little physical violence in my life, but somehow I very deeply resonate with the pain of situations of extreme violence, especially against women and the sad stories of the perpetrators, both of which are part of her story. I remember reading an account of a Cathar (early Christian sect) woman being burned alive. I cried for a long time. After watching the movie, I had a dream that I saw Aileen Wuornos and told her that even though she was betrayed by those who sold her story to Hollywood, it was good that some of her story was told, especially in Nick Broomfield's last documentary.

I feel silly that I wrote about wanting to stay in bed writing all day. Well. I wrote to Dr. Tavakoli to ask what the current deal is, if it's time for me to turn into Lance Armstrong...I  hope that you realize that what I write here is true, but only insofar as the present moment lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment