Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Human Body

Yesterday at Alan's I ended up spontaneously reciting part of a poem by Tsong Khapa, a Tibetan Buddhist master from around 800 or so years ago. Alan suggested I recite it every day. It has been a favorite for a long time. It is what I must remember.

(from memory, might not be exactly right)

The human body at peace with itself
Is more precious than the rarest gem.
Cherish your body.
It is there this time only.
The human form is won with difficulty.
It is easy to lose.
All worldly things are brief,
Like a flash of lightening in the sky.
This life you must know as the tiny splash of a raindrop
That disappears even as it comes into being.
Therefore set your goal.
Make use of every day and night to achieve it. 

4 comments:

  1. Shantinayaka let me know, it's
    "A thing of beauty that disappears even as it comes into being"

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of my favourite verses too. Sending you lots of well wishing and beautiful yellow spring daffodils from the UK.xxKhemajoti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey honey - I love this poem - haven't thought if it for ages. So thanks. I could probably do with reciting it every day too - maybe I will. big hugs and thanks for your inspiring blog xx Vimoksalehi

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome! Glad you are enjoying (or whatever) reading it. Hey and thanks for the care package...Great hat and aboriginal art... x

    ReplyDelete