Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Margaret Cho and Depression P.S.

I finished Margaret Cho's book I'm The One That I Want last night. Maybe the publisher figured they'd sell better if the title was the same as her super popular standup show, but it was not primarily comedy. It's a memoir about her childhood in San Francisco, fame, alcoholism, drug addiction, her love life, and the interplay between Hollywood and self-hatred. Much darker than Bossy Pants. Then I watched some of her show from the 90's, All American Girl, on Youtube. She wrote that when she was doing that show, she was starving herself and high all the time. I wouldn't necessarily have recognized her on the show if I hadn't known it was her. 

On a more personal note, I don't want to overstate my depression. I felt that in the interest of balance I should mention it. Apparently depression very commonly happens post-treatment. I am working with it, it comes and goes. Looking over past blogs I realize there is real progress - for example, no more terrible clam. I have a fear of having to do chemotherapy...but come to think of it, my hair falling out and being nauseated sounds way better than being burned by radiation. 

Anyway here are two pictures I took at acupuncture yesterday. 


2 comments: