Sunday, February 26, 2012

Complaints About Going Out, and Xantham Gum

Helsinki 2005
My massage was wonderful yesterday, but made me realize the degree to which leaving my house for more than, say, half an hour, causes some anxiety. Yes.  My bladder is messed up so I have to pee often. I do not have a normal degree of bladder or bowel control. Plus pain, special gear I need to keep with me, and getting car sick...My friend commented that it's like having a baby! Anyway it was good to spend some time with Tong. I also managed to get in my Costco fix which I need around every two years.

Today I did pretty well. Dawn came over in the morning and made Padmatara, Pasadini and I yummy cornmeal pancakes and eggs. Then Dawn and I meditated, which was wonderful, and wandered around the neighborhood a bit (not too far!) It occurred to me that I could set up meditation buddies on Lotsa Helping Hands website.

If I knew where I was going to be living in 6 months, I'd find a book on all the food additives and what they are. For example, xanthan gum. So much weird chemically engineered stuff goes into food.

Nap time.

3 comments:

  1. This seems useful (EU-based, but seems generally applicable): http://www.foodreactions.org/allergy/additives/

    As non-resident curmudgeon, I will point out that xanthan gum is an entirely natural additive, produced by feeding sugar to a bacteria, fermenting it, letting it grow into long molecular chains, and drying it out. It seems to have some very interesting and useful properties. According to the article problems arise b/c people may be allergic to the particular medium it is grown in (e.g., dairy, soy, corn). It's not very weird.

    It's a little weird in that it comes from a bacteria, but I'd rather it were processed, than put in my food directly as a "slimy substance which acts as a natural stabilizer or thickener."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I was thinking relative to a giant freaky molecule that is totally lab-made. I think it's kind of cool that someone would look at some slime on spinach, notice it has useful properties, and figure out a process for making it useful in a consistent and stable way.

    Although natural source or lab-made doesn't inherently mean something is more or less harmful or more or less allergenic.

    ReplyDelete