Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Weekend Retreat + Medical Monday, Fat Tuesday


Day 3 of Retreat
Being on retreat is wonderful, and also difficult. Sleeping 15 or so hours a day/night, and much of the food is not right for me which means it causes pain (forgot to give guidelines for food.) Of course I never know for certain the causes. I was laying down in my room and couldn't stand up without almost passing out, so waited a couple of hours before I could stand up and walk outside. Danamaya came back with me and was very helpful as always.

Day 4, 10am
Feel shakey, weak, and moving slowly. Dosed up on zofran and decadron to prep for the ride to Redwood City for blood test today. Too tired to take pictures. I had some other observations about the retreat but too tired to recall them. Did have a cool dream yesterday about a huge house way up in a huge tree...

I was trying to think of what radiation feels like, the cumulative effect of radiation. You don't feel anything when getting the treatment – it's like the sun. You can lie in the sun and not feel yourself getting burnt. And that's what it feels like at this point – the skin is badly burnt and blistered, and the insides are burnt too, and raw. Which  can feel anywhere from neutral to itchy to achy to burning (as if sprayed with pepper spray) to razor blades...

6pm
Zipping down to the blood lab ended up being a 4 or 5 hour odyssey...The lab at Redwood City Kaiser was closed for whatever holiday today is. If you're ever looking for creepy topiary, however, I recommend it. Anyway got blood drawn in South San Francisco and had many good chats with Viveka in the car. Taking the anti-nausea stuff this morning was key I think. Also not eating anything that may cause trouble. That list is long.

After peeing without any pain for a day or two the pain is back much more intensely and I'm also peeing blood. Slept around 3 hours.

Home at Last
Lovely end to the retreat, with everyone sharing a little about how it went for them. It was a "Western Region Women's Order Mitra Retreat" in case that means anything to you. There were several people from Seattle, a couple from Canada, and one from Montana, plus us San Francisco folks.

Karunadevi brought me to my last radiation appointment (with a Mardi Gras theme) on the way home from the retreat. We also talked to Cecilia and Dr Laura Millender (filling in for Patel), then to the other SSF Kaiser (where I was yesterday for the blood test) for a urine test, which came out positive for a UTI, probably because of preventative stuff I didn't do on the retreat. Then we had an excellent lunch at Fresh Choice. I found out I'm not invited anymore to be on the team for the October GFR retreat in Mexico (more than enough people have appeared including some Spanish speaking people).

At 4 Robin brought me to Misha's where I told her my woes. Went into a very deep sleep on the table and felt wonderful when I woke up with no pain.

Tomorrow, last chemo, and antibiotics...

1 comment:

  1. Poor suvanna. Hang in there puppy. one more external and it is over!!!!

    Anything special you would like me to bring?

    I have added dried raspberries to my oatmeal along with the soaked almonds. very nice and not sweetened at all. I recommend it when you are able to do oatmeal again.

    love, laura

    ReplyDelete