Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Forgot to Bring my Camera, Then Again Things Weren't as Trippy as Last Time

2009 Yosemite - irrelevant but cute photo x
(someone told me it's a pikachu)
I sort of like getting the internal radiation. The Indian woman anesthesiologist didn't dope me up as much as the Russian man last week, which was fine. Although those in the radiation room had to endure much more silence this week than last, poor things. From my point of view, things were a lot less trippy looking. Just another room - this one no doubt with lead walls - full of men (some of them wearing ties!) and women with my vag, doing stuff that blissfully I cannot feel. Met the physicist who is apparently kingpin of it all. They are all really nice people.

When Julie and I were talking to Anne the nurse (unfortunately the awesome Lee was on vacation as are many Kaiser employees this week), Dr. Nag came in and said hello and asked how I got on last week. I love him, and this proves (?) that it's not just the drugs (since I loved him before the shot in the spine.) Anne did tell us that she and Lee are the reason they do spinals on the brachytherapy patients. Apparently it used to be a kind of light general anesthesia.

Julie kindly gave me her bedroom last night and drove me back to the city today in traffic.
And Danamaya's tips have helped with the pain. Supplementary items include lidocaine, chunks of fresh aloe, hydrocortisone cream, vaginal lubricant, Aquaphor ointment, psyllium tablets, glycerine, suppositories, baby wipes, men's underwear, burn cream from the acupuncturist, ditropan for bladder irritation...plus things I can't think of. Got some nice books and cards from Candradasa and the European chairman's meeting.

I think the reason I like it is that, while I know what they are doing is pumping a large amount of radiation into my body via needles, the actual experience of being there, no doubt because of the drugs, is relaxing. It's also relaxing when the drugs wear off. It really does not have the side effects that the external has.

No comments:

Post a Comment