Thursday, February 2, 2012

Medical Marathon...

Token cute animal photo II, AKA Pasadini's cat
...with Pasadini yesterday. Went for radiation at 8:00am in south city, had a conversation also with Julie and an exam with Dr. Patel which was great. Turns out the state of my dryness and irritation thus far is 'normal'. He gave me some medication (ditropan) that will prevent me from waking up so many times at night to pee, and he put in the system some other medications and tests should an infection develop. Realized later that I was a bit panicky when I talked to him.

He mentioned that they only stop radiation rarely, that it has to be done sometimes but to consider that since it allows the healthy tissue to heal some, it's also going to allow the cancer to heal (or anyway, to grow.) In other words, even though I think I want a break from the radiation, I really don't! The radiation is most effective when it is steady.

Then P & I drove in a lot of traffic down to Geary St. for chemo. Found out I'm going to be getting 6, not 5, weeks of chemo, so I am half way through. (Actually in terms of side effects, not half way through yet.) I figure I have at least this month and a bit more to deal with stuff. David (oncology nurse) was telling us very funny stories...about a holiday card they sent featuring the finch lying in a manger...a nurse he was giving a ride to who shot up into her leg in his car...he was very entertaining! I also really trust him. And Tong stopped by for a chat. We didn't watch any movies, kind of have movie burnout, though we did have the private room with the nice view! I do need an entertaining book to read. Bossypants was a tough act to follow.

This picture selected because of bags under eyes,
as well as interesting curved hair horn
David also said my weekly blood tests are very good - he described them as 'abnormally normal'. He said after the third week is often when hair starts thinning...

Met with Dr. Lin who is filling in for Dr. Tavakoli, who kind of vanished without telling anyone why. (David, Pasadini and I determined that he is either in rehab or has contracted some bigtime STD.) I will meet with him Feb 22, at the end of treatment, to find out the truth no doubt. Anyway I mentioned to Dr Lin that I am getting acupuncture twice a week and she encouraged me to continue!

Walked around the Mission doing some medical type errands and felt pretty wrecked afterwards. (Still, it's good for me to walk around, and I like it.) I feel emotionally fine, just very drained. Apparently started looking very pale during chemo. It's sort of like feeling really weird or whatever...but I'm all right on the inside somewhere...

from http://media.merchantcircle.com/6811277/erden%20sushibar_full.jpeg
On the phone on Valencia street - which has a new restaurant every time I walk down it, for like, years -  I told a friend that I no longer have a vagina. What I have now is vagina jerky. (I hope that my kind readers will realize that this is a gross exaggeration. Really it's more like the sushi in that place where the sushi sails around on boats until someone picks it up, but some of them circle around too long and start looking all dry and nasty. Next time it comes around, it has sauce on it, which is also what I am trying to do. And I want to tell you that inventing humorous or any other kind of description of my vagina...isn't a usual pasttime. I just can't stop myself! I do at least amuse myself...)

But as long as I'm at it...my friend offered the helpful suggestion that I come up with a name for my vagina. Someone tonight suggested Flo, as in the southern waitress type, and then realized her error. It was very funny. I was thinking something like Hyacinth McMullen. In addition to the many excellent qualities of this name, is also apparently the name of a deceased Catholic nun. I like irony folks, and also claiming things are ironic that possibly aren't.

Lay down on my bed for a little while then spent ages putting pills in new dispenser. Was pondering elderly people, who I think are most of the people who have cancer, and who take all kinds of medication, and how hard it must be for them to get it right. Taking things at certain times for a certain number of days and with or without food and with or without other medications and not taking them all at the same time. It must be very difficult for elderly people. There is something about my cognitive function that has kind of...lowered this last month or so. I very much enjoy writing but sometimes in conversations, it seems that I am easily confused.

Pasadini, Padmatara and I are taking turns cooking a couple or so evenings a week. Tonight Dayamudra made us some soup which was perfect. My sister Laura will be here tomorrow. Feels like good timing.

p.s. I feel vaguely guilty that this post is so long.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Suvanna,
    I want to say again that I find your writing and sharing to be I think the most beautiful communication of So-ness of & for a person’s Experience, that I have ever read, anywhere.

    Of course, that Experience is very, very dramatic, but you are encompassing (and experiencing) it with powerful reflections, insights, and truths – the most, and deepest I've ever seen. It is a joy (perhaps not the best word I can think of; certainly illuminating) to read your reflections, insights, and truths of this experience, and of Life and Death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I can get you the Qi-Gong DVD's (& anything else you want from that Tai-Chi store), tomorrow.

    Any particular titles? Anything else you fancy?

    Love, Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. that would be great ben - hm, not sure which titles they have! ...some basic routine that i can and hopefully will do at home. something taught by larry wong i think...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Darling--
    I enjoy your writing--especially the long ones! I also appreciate the term "vagina jerky" and the picture of the sushi chef to go with it! Sending lots of love--xox Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Honey - beautiful writing and don't you dare feel guilty about writing long posts. So glad that acupuncture is helping you. It has helped me with all kinds of things over the years - and it sounds like your acupuncturists are great. Amazingly there is a really fantastic acupuncturist here in Townsville.... he has saved my life many times. Big hugs to you and loads of wet juicy love to your vagina xxxxxxxx Vimoksalehi

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you - that feels much better!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete