Thursday, January 5, 2012

Benefits of Cancer

Mural on Balmy Alley
"life has a way of humbling you down"*

One wouldn't want to be ridiculously optimistic, and I am not. However I have noticed a few things since my diagnosis.

My life now is deeply and intuitively precious to me.
At the same time, I think I will be able to let it go when I need to.
I am able to live much more wholly in the present.
I experience my life, and other people's lives, as precious.
There is a lot more love being expressed by everyone in my life (including me).
I feel very connected to people.
I told a friend in an email, who asked me if I felt supported, that I felt surrounded by love.
My family has been generous with money, without which I could not take care of myself properly.
In a way, everything has become really simple. There's just taking care of stuff, and love.
Physically, I don't feel so bad other than feeling depleted/tired, which I have been for many months (if not years.)

I write these things not because I'm trying to be positive, but because this has been my experience, so far. It hasn't been very long - about a month.

* from 'life has a way' by anthony hamilton. this song is not particularly appropriate for this post. but i heard when on NPR yesterday i felt i must quote it and was unable to wait 'til the appropriate time...

1 comment:

  1. love this - thank you for these inspirational words
    love vimalasara

    ReplyDelete