Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Nun Flies Through the Chemotherapy Room +


What Sally Field was up to in 1968 
Yesterday: First, radiation, and a chat with my main oncologist, who is lovely, Milan Patel, with Karunadevi and Julie. He said the treatment is going well, which as far as I can tell, means that nothing has going wrong! (There are no diagnostic tests during this treatment phase.)

In response to gut turmoil he suggested increasing fiber, and avoiding eating raw fruits and veg. He also said there's a possibility I will become lactose intolerant during treatment. Karunadevi suggested probiotics, and he agreed that was a good idea. (It's funny how my doctors never seem to volunteer this kind of info first!) He said again that the radiation will at some point stop the bleeding and will help the pain in my sit bones.

I also asked for my brother in law Jon how much daily radiation I am getting. The answer is 4400 centigrays.



During chemo Julie and I watched the first episode of The Flying Nun, which will only register with Americans over a certain age. It's about a nun (Sally Field about 2 years old) in San Juan, Puerto Rico, who because of her wing-ish headgear and very small frame, flies. And Ricardo Montelban and a nun who reminds me of my friend Kitty.

We also watched the documentary Crazy, Sexy Cancer. I liked it - interesting to watch someone else's journey. Made me realize too how people think - and a month ago I thought - that cancer is all kind of the same deal. But this lady had 14 tumors on her liver and lungs that, eventually (spoiler alert as they say) were just sitting there not doing anything. Which is as close as she can get to being cured - nothing to do but check on it once a year.

Individual cancers, just like people, can have totally different personalities! Grow at drastically different rates, respond to different treatments. Even what doctors look for, what is a good sign, what is a bad sign, what is a perplexing sign. It seems to depend on on what body part/s and what kind of cell within that body part. For example, an oncologist said he was not concerned with how big my tumor is. How deeply it has penetrated into the tissue is what is significant. I'm not sure what mine's personality is. We'll have to see how it responds to what Dr Keith Block called the 'attack phase' of treatment.

With Tong (who works at Kaiser) in the chemo room
Speaking of cancers being different, as you might imagine, vaginal cancer CANNOT be called sexy. It's just not possible. Not that I've ever seen it what it looks like (that would be trippy), and I've had virtually no vaginal pain...but still, sexy? My movie would be called The Crazy Antichrist of Sexy.  Presumably the title works for the woman who made the film, who is a successful actress in NYC, and ends up getting married. My sex is what has cancer, so that's very different, it probably goes without saying. Anyway.

Apparently coconut water is a thing now. Prasadachitta said they sell it at yoga studios. They had *5* different kinds (one of them had sugar in it though) at my favorite store, Duc Loi. I LOVE IT. I attribute the fact that I had chemo yesterday and did not feel sick (just tired) afterwards to the 3 huge cans of coconut water I drank...plus got a foot massage. YUM.

Dhammagita had suggested it or some version of it (Vita Coco). She also sent me a link to this excellent sounding show on the South Bank in London, "Festival for the Living, " which is pretty much about death. There is an interesting podcast.

The rest of my numerous appointments will be in Lotsa Helping Hands soon.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting "festival" podcast. On picking funeral music, I'd say since the funeral is for the people who are alive, let them choose. But, they'd probably prefer to do what the deceased would want. So that leaves me with "Whatever you Want" by Status Quo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l50Fp4l1fCk), which would be horribly, horribly wrong. My mom would hate the music, too. It is very complicated.

    ReplyDelete