Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lying on Tables & Other Gifts

My step mom Chris giving me her car!
I've laid or possibly lain on two tables today. One at the acupuncturist's, and one for a radiation simulation, which involved being jacked up to around shoulder height, and watching all these crazy mechanical arms and other gizmos circling around my pelvis for around 20 minutes. The simulation is all about imaging. Julie and Padmatara were in the waiting room.

I tried to get a short haircut today, but the stylist had called in sick. The other one I tried was on vacation. Will try again at Grasshopper in South Park, 3pm Thursday. If that doesn't work, screw it - I'll just wait for it to fall out!

I signed some papers that the saintly Dhivajri filled out for me - about State Disability, and getting a Handicapped parking placard (no, you can't borrow it!) Still need to get my car registered, get an area parking permit, and sort out some other parking for the next while. Also I'm almost done changing the beneficiaries on my IRA which has taken a while because I need people's social security numbers. Am also doing an Advance Health Care Directive. So much paperwork! Also trying to de-clutter my living space a bit. I was told yet again today that side effects won't kick in for about 2 weeks. I hope it's true so I can get some more stuff done. 

A fabulous pair of socks...but will they
match my hospital gown?
It's impossible how many appointments I now have. Here is a current list of appointments. (I only included the ones to the end of January as some of the rest will probably change.) 


Summary: Tomorrow is radiation 7:45am, chemo 9:15am. After that, radiation 9:15am Monday to Friday for a while. Radiation is daily in South San Francisco, the chemo is Geary/ Divisadero once a week. 

What else happened today? Had a few short phone conversations between appointments, etc. Got knackered again just from talking to people and lying on tables. Rented two DVDs for chemo tomorrow, both super highbrow: Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay, and Portlandia.


Felt very loving toward the people on the BART train again, especially the man with the very strong accent of some kind who asked me which train platform goes to Embarcadero (but pronounced it in a way I could barely understand), and then which train. He was with his son. I felt very protective of them.

I have received many gifts. I have received many gifts today! People have given me money which is such an enormous relief, not to mention books, a car, loving emails, cans of sustainably farmed tuna, groovy socks, company, nutritional solidarity, books, rides, good vibes, and salads at Fresh Choice. And there is the gift that I maybe understand a tiny bit more about the Buddha's teachings on impermanence...

No comments:

Post a Comment