Thursday, January 5, 2012

CT Scan with Tattoos + Treatment Finally Scheduled

I had 2 CT scans yesterday. A CT scanner is essentially a temperamental donut that has a camera whirling around inside of it, and you get very, very carefully placed on a table and wheeled into the center, as if you were the jam. To help you visualize I have included a picture of a turtle called Lucy who for some reason needed a CT scan. I hope Lucy has fewer troubles than I.

Writing about the details of the procedure here would be rather too intimate even for me. Suffice it to say that I have 3 dot-tattoos now. Getting a tattoo, even a tiny little dot tattoo, was way more painful than I thought it would be. They are on either hip and below my belly button, to help with navigation of radiation beams. The RN today who helped with the radiation was so incredibly thoughtful and gentle, Jeanie Wong, I *loved* her. I'm sorry I won't be getting any more CT scans, at least not for a while. I also got a lot of info about side effects of radiation.

It's finally sinking in that I'm going to lose my hair... I will get it cut short before chemo starts.
I ordered some stuff today recommended by nurses and docs - special soap, shampoo and other things.

The treatment starts January 17 with my first dose of radiation. Next morning chemo starts.

There is a free 'Radiation 101' class/tour they offer at South San Francisco a couple of days a month. I'm going to go on Thursday (Jan 12, 12:30-2pm) if you would like to join me. If you don't want to, that would be a very sane choice, but if you would like to you are welcome.



1 comment:

  1. I glad this was a turtle, I thought it was you at first! Maybe we can go wig shopping? I've never seen you as a red head. hugs and hugs xo

    ReplyDelete