Monday, January 23, 2012

Life/A Giraffe is Very Large

Tanzania, 2006
I thought I knew how big a giraffe is, until I stood next to one in a forest. My head did not reach to the top of his leg. You could stand underneath his stomach, I mean, if you felt like it,  but you probably wouldn't feel like it. I'm 5'9". It's like looking up at a big furry house...that walks.

Then the giraffe isn't there anymore, because five years have passed, and that was in another country. But still: we are small. We are a dot.  We can barely stand up beside the stature of anything, even our own body, which is in some way, king of it all.

Today and yesterday, my guts are in painful turmoil and I am very tired. Has it really only been 4 days of treatment?

Rochelle left me a can of fancy Bi-rite tuna which cheers me up. As did a walk in Edgewood Park with Julie.

2 comments:

  1. It's like looking up at a big furry house...that walks. What a wonderful beautiful way of describing a giraffe. Thank you. I didn't know you had been to Tanzania. bye for now, Sanghadevi

    ReplyDelete
  2. JOCK!!! He was so huge! And gorgeous. And a bit intimidating. And lovely. And huge. That was a wonderful time, in that reserve, just us and him. Wow. XOXO

    ReplyDelete